Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Tudor Feast...



Being an avid historian, I was bound to launch a Tudor line of miniature foods! Just been taking my time as I've had so many other things on the go.

The Tudor period was between 1485-1603 and was a fairly exciting time (although it ended the House of Plantagenet which was much more interesting, I think). Tudor food didn't exactly make any gigantic culinary advances, although we started importing things like oranges and lettuce (which we didn't have before) and of course we had the arrival of the potato from South America.
Anyway... stopping before I bore people to death... the point is miniaturists seem particularly fond of Tudor food and so that's why I'm making food from this era. But you could just as easily use much of this range for miniature scenes of earlier (or later) periods in history.

My Tudor Range forms part of my new Best of British Collection... much more to come! Available at my online shop in 2 days.

Crayfish Stargazy Pie ~ a Cornish dish from the 16th century - still served in the UK today. (Note to Americans - we say crayfish, not crawfish in the UK! :) )



English Cheese Plate ~ featuring Royal Gala apples, bread, Welsh goat's cheese, Cheddar, Stinking Bishop, Stilton and a cheese knife.



Golden Pears ~ pears have been popular in Britain since they were brought to us with the Roman invasion. They were a favourite of Henry III. This miniature is one of my best - a soapstone dish of realistic pears with a one gilded pear among them. (A popular dinner party touch in mediaeval households).



Ploughman's Lunch ~ very traditionally English! A 'ploughman's' includes cheese, chutney, bread and fruit. This fancy one features little pork pies, Royal Gala apples, a pear, bread, English chutney, crackers, Welsh goat's cheese, Cheddar, Stinking Bishop, Stilton, red grapes, green grapes and a bottles of red wine.



Round English Cheese Plate ~ featuring Royal Gala apples, bread, Welsh goat's cheese, Cheddar, Stinking Bishop, Stilton, red grapes, green grapes and a cheese knife.

hummingbird miniatures one inch scale or 1:12 scale dollhouse or dolls house miniature Tudor food made from polymer clay

7 comments:

  1. Well you have quite busy! :-) Nice to see you exploring other "genres".

    Typically, I usually only take to mini sweets but I find myself quite fond of both the cheese plate with the grapes but also that lovely dish of pears. I actually think those pears are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, I'm glad you like them. The pears took me days. I'm more proud of them that most things I've ever made! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so perfect! As always. Can't wait to see them in your shop.
    I'm just preparing and collecting Tudor things for my future Tudor bedroom.
    I think your small lecture about Tudor food highly interesting, by the way.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just so amazing - it's hard to believe they are 12th. I think Tudor and Medieval periods are my favourites for miniatures.
    Tiggy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...